Have you ever wondered why you perceive your own voice as deeper than it actually sounds? The answer is quite simple – bone conduction – our skulls conduct lower frequencies better than air does, leading to us experiencing our own voice deeper and fuller than other people would. This is also true for the inverse; a recording of your own voice will normally sound a lot higher than you normally perceive it.
The 5 Best Selling Bone Conduction Headphones:
- Bone conduction technology creates mini vibrations, sending sound through the cheekbones, directly to the inner ears for awareness and comfort
- Wireless Bluetooth connectivity
- PremiumPitch Plus delivers dynamic sound and truly powerful bass.
- Bone conduction technology uses vibrations to transmit sound waves directly to the cochlea
- OpenFitTM assures unmatched ambient sound awareness and extended comfort
- Dual microphones deliver clear communication even in noisy environments
- ※ What is Bone conduction technology ：by creating mini vibrations, it sends sound through the cheekbones directly to the inner ears, avoiding damage to the ears using conventional earphones.
- ※ Super HD Sound than normal headphones: With this new smart bone conduction headphones you can enjoy heavy bass and crystal clear treble whilst listening to your favorite music. By putting on ear...
- ※ Wider connection and Long battery life: Upgraded bluetooth V4.2 with wide connection up to 30 ft away, and Fast, secure and stable connectivity. It is energy saving allows constant music for up to...
- Bone conduction technology uses vibrations to transmit sound waves directly to the cochlea
- OpenFit assures unmatched ambient sound awareness and extended comfort
- PremiumPitch patented dual suspension transducers guarantee the finest bone conduction audio
- Bone Conduction Technology Speaker: Create minute mechanical vibrations, send sound to the internal ear through the cranial bones. Release ears, you can hear outside voice while listening to music....
- CSR Bluetooth V4.1 Chip: Give clearer conversation, lower latency in connecting, stronger and more stable signal, longer working time. Easy and fast pairing with smartphones, tablets and other...
- Multipoint Connection: 1 Bluetooth headset connects 2 devices simultaneously, never miss any calls from your devices. Built-in 260mAh battery makes 10 days standby time, up to 8 hours of continuous...
Until recently bone conduction audio devices, like the headphones we’ll be discussing here, were only used by the military for communication and in the medical field as hearing aids for the hearing impaired. This has changed over the last couple of years as more audio equipment manufacturers realized the potential bone conduction headphones has for delivering high quality audio better than other audio devices, in specific situations.
The 5 Best Bone Conduction Headphones:
Based on their style, capabilities designs and features, we have come up with a list of 5 of the best bone conduction headphones on the market today. You can purchase if you want to “feel” the sound.
The AfterShokzTrekz Titanium are targeted towards the sporty individuals out there. If you fancy a run, bike ride or even a solo session at the basketball court (to do some drills and work on your game), these headphones would be a great choice. These Bluetooth headphones are on the higher end of the price range, but the features they offer correspond to the price tag.
The PremiumPitch+ technology offers a finely tuned sound paired with a powerful base, while the Leakslayer technology reduces the sound leakage (common in most air conduction head and earphones) to give you a powerful experience, while still leaving you fully aware of your surroundings. The Wireless Bluetooth headset also comes with a titanium frame for increased durability and flexibility. Offering 6 hours of music and calls, this headset perfectly fits any environment you might be in.
As one of the value picks on this list, the Besteker Open provides great value for its price and can give you a genuine experience of the bone conduction if you are not too sure you want to spend the big bucks on another headset yet. Although the design is more sporty than formal, the quality of the sound while listening to music is just as good as when you are on a conference call, driving down the freeway. The headset’s Adopt 4.1 wireless technology, alongside a top of the line bone conduction module, helps provide a high-quality sound without hurting or damaging your eardrum, even at high volumes.
The design is highly elastic for more durability. Moreover, a great feature for the evening joggers are the reflective warning stickers on the back, ensuring a safe night workout.Another advantage for the formally oriented people is that the headset offers a classic winding cord and a clip that can prove quite useful while driving or walking, preventing sudden slips and disconnects.
Right up there in the high-end department, this Marsboy wireless bone conduction headset has amazing features for anyone interested in this technology and looking for a solid choice to enjoy this experience. The bone conduction technology used in it transmits the sound waves vibrations directly to the cochlea, meaning you will be able to enjoy music or conversation fully and nothing will “block” your ears. Do not let the sleek formal design fool you; the headset is waterproof, it has an adjustable headband and easy to use controls. Moreover, it has Bluetooth compatibility with almost all Bluetooth-enabled devices.
The headset offers great standby battery life of up to 10 days. Furthermore, you can connect two phones to the same headset. With the Marsboy Wireless Sports Stereo Headset, you get a strong sense of awareness, great sound, a quality design appropriate for both sports and formal attire, while taking utmost care for your ears.
Do not let the price tag on this headset fool you. The Japanese giant Panasonic has come up with a great, budget decision, for your open-ear needs. This bone conductivity headset offers a sporty design, ideal for those jogs through the park or bike rides on a panoramic road. The headphones’ water resistance allows you to enjoy the music anytime, and sing along as much as you like even in the rain while being fully aware of your surroundings.
The design is not only bright and colorful, but those colors are also reflective, so you can enjoy an evening walk, run or talk out in the open while not missing a beat of what is happening around you. If you want to experience bone conduction sound, but you are not sure you would like it, these headphones are a steal and a viable option.
So you live and breathe sports and you are looking for bone conduction headsets at a great price? Well, look no further. Our 5th pick is certainly a gem for everyone close to the sea. The Longee Smart Bone Conduction Headphones are sweat and waterproof. If you are looking to dive and enjoy the deeps with a sweet ambiance, this headset is for you. Full sweat / waterproof and ear free design enables you to make the most of your surroundings, while enjoying your favorite music or talking with your loved ones or friends. The multipoint connection allows pairing with two devices and you will not skip a beat, when being active or on the go.
The smart voice control allows the user to activate Siri or Google Now easily, so that any call, message check or music playback can be done hands-free, not losing sight of what is happening around them.
Available at: Amazon.com
Are Bone Conduction Headphones Better Than Traditional Headphones?
The short answer is no, in most cases not. Bone conduction headphones do not deliver better quality audio than a high quality pair of traditional headphones will, that is a matter of fact, but in certain situations they are a better, more functional, option than traditional headphones. As they don’t have an ear piece it makes it possible for you to listen to music and still be aware of your surroundings and as most are water-resistant or waterproof, it makes it arguably the best headphones for outdoor sports such as running, cycling or swimming.
Even though bone conduction sound making has been around since 2008, we are just starting to of figure out the technology, its use for conventional purposes and ways to improve it. If it has helped as a source of hearing aid, it certainly has its application in our everyday lives, as a source of awareness, as a tool to get a lot more out of our music playlists, and as a gateway to a whole new world of exploring a feeling or sensation, while being able to hear everything around us.
For those of you who wish to go head on and dive into the bone conduction experience, the Marsboy and Shokz Titanium headsets are a great choice, even though the technology has a lot to improve on. Moreover, for anyone who wishes to get away from the vacuum of their earbuds and wants to feel their surroundings while jogging, working out, swimming, driving or even making a work call, any of the sets on our list would give you this experience.
Have you tried a bone conduction headset? Do you own one? What do you use it for? How does it feel? Did we miss anything? We would love to hear what you think, so share your thoughts in the comments section below.